PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNN Reports FEDEX crash in Tokyo
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 03:01
TRey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a former MD11 driver ( 744 now) I was curious what FX landing flap guidance is, flaps 35 or 50 or your choice. As for you poor handling theorists, I have personally been caught in PIO's caused from a hard landing coupled with the "enhancements" to the LSAS system and it is amazing how little it takes for the bounce recovery and the LSAS to get out of sync. I have witnessed this situation happen to new guys and very experienced MD11 pilots and the look on their faces and words are always the same from them......"how the hell did that get so jacked up, so quickly?" the MD11 is a handful, it is manageable, but she will bite you and you will not know why or how until you "debrief" it in your head. So I wouldnt be too quick to "figure it out" just from the video as a lack of pilot 101.

The flaps thing I asked about stems from my experience with both settings, I like 35 for all landings, personal preference. I dont like 50, flatter approach but more pull required in the flare and can lead to a bounce more easily......my opinion only. So if you forget those differences, you could end up buying everybody beers and chiropractic.

Tailwinds to the crew who lost their fight, and my condolences to the families and you Dawgs at FX. God speed.

TRey
WOA