PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 26th Mar 2009, 19:24
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is unusual!

Which sort of t-tail jet is it that needs this push forward?

You mean it would just sit there in a deep stall, nose-up, unless you give it the necessary push nose-down? Which is it and how did it get certified with such stall characteristics? I have never heard of an airplane without a pusher that would behave that way.

Well, I am assuming that it was not trimmed full nose-up on the way into the stall, of course. I suppose you could induce this behaviour by doing that, yes. That isn't the way you are supposed to do a stall in training, is it?

I was playing with my motorcycle on a training course on a closed circuit when I lost the front end. Normally this results in a crash but I was lucky enough to recover. The man following got the bigger fright when my machine suddenly assumed this very weird angle and just as suddenly recovered. The key to the recovery was smoothness, something I learned from flying.

I think you all know what I mean about a man-machine interface we need. Roughness can destroy that to leave us just sat there stirring the controls without having much effect on the outcome of a situation or even making it worse by getting into a PIO (Pilot-Induced Oscillation, a sub-set of SBS, for Sh1t Behind the Stick).

Of course some aircraft just fly like pigs anyway, there is that too, when you need something to be smooth with!

As I wrote, it will be interesting to read the accident report on this one, when I think it will have something for all of us to learn from. No real idea what, at this point, I am happy to wait for the report.