PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2009, 18:40
overstress

PPRuNe Person

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BuckD:
I wouldn't be surprised if next time they ask us to work for free, just for the peace of mind of the shareholders.
"They" would be delighted of course. What employees in BA have to worry about is the management giving 90 days notice on your contract if your dept can't/won't make the savings BA are demanding.

This applies to all groups, not just cabin crew. WW is rumoured to be prepared to do this. If IFS/IFCE don't come up with the goods it could be an interesting few months.

If BA decide to vary anyone's contract this is what the law says:

If the employer wishes to vary the terms and conditions of employment and the employee, having been consulted, objects to the variation, then the employer may decide to terminate the contract by dismissing the employee. As usual in the event of dismissal, the appropriate statutory or contractual notice (or pay in lieu of notice) would have to be given and any other contractual obligations relating to the termination of employment would have to be fulfilled.

Rights to notice and reasons for dismissal The employer would then be free to offer the job on different terms and conditions either to the dismissed employee or to another applicant.
If you want to read the full monty on this the link is here

I post this not to scaremonger but to try to introduce some reality to the thread, I hope BASSA are on the ball.

PS: As I understand it, if you are dismissed in this way you take the company to tribunal, or county court if you can prove measurable loss. However I am not a lawyer, I know that there are a few on this forum.

Last edited by overstress; 26th Mar 2009 at 19:01.