PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex Forces? Full Pension? Watch out!!!
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2009, 17:53
Sonic Bam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also ex-RAF and know plenty of guys who have left, done their licences and are doing quite nicely for themselves.

I also know ex-RAF guys who can't be a---d studying and have gone connying, love the life and are doing quite nicely for themselves.

I also know a quite a few guys who have left after 22 years who have settled with their families in the area of their last station. The families are settled, they like where they live, etc. These are bloody good engineers though unlicenced. Some have tried connying but didn't like it - too far to commute daily to the nearest job, don't want to live away from thefamily, wasn't worth it when expenses deducted from earnings, etc. They could do their licencesand scoosh them but it comes back to the same scenario as connying - they don't want to do it.

With the privatisation of a lot of jobs on RAF bases they have been able to stay at home with their families and earn enough to keep them happy.

As far as I'm concerend, it still comes back to employers being able to employ people at rates the market can stand. If the rate was too low and nobody would work for it then they have to raise the rate until it reaches a level where people will work for them.

Basic economics, not rocket science or solidarity amongst the proletariat, no herding of cats or national negotiating. People can make their own choices, take it or leave it.