PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5 Sqn Lightning Wanted
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2009, 15:37
5Sqn-Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightning Rebuild

The Lightning took a significant step toward readiness for the Waddington Airshow last weekend. Having been re-assembled, it was towed out to Waddington Airfield's Bravo Dispersal on its own wheels. The work was completed thanks to the efforts of a select few of our riggers. Even a few pilots got their hands dirty!

The plan is to have it restored over the coming months leading up to the Airshow. The painter will begin restoration work soon and is aware of our time constraints. If the aircraft is ready in time, we plan to have Gp Capt Andy Williams unveil it at the Airshow. The owners and the LPG are likely to have stalls alongside the aircraft.

This project is going to cost a significant amount of money and any offers of funding can be PM'd to me. We have thus far raised approx £400, but are far from the goal of raising £3000! It would be nice to see the aircraft back to its former glory.

To help with fund-raising, we are planning a run of Lightning die-cast models at 1:72 scale. The models will be in XR770's flashy red/grey livery and will be available from me by the end of April. This would allow people to make a suitable donation and receive something back for their generosity.

The aircraft is in reasonably good condition, although there are a few items I am still trying to source. The probe is currently missing, a new port flap section would be beneficial, and engine tail-pipes would make the rear look more complete. The station workshop may be able to help 'manufacture' these for us, but we would be grateful if some original parts were made available to us.

Offers of cadets to help with plinths and anti-corrosion primer for the aircraft are appreciated and I have PM'd you. Thank you all for your help so far.

OIC 5 (AC) Sqn Lightning

Last edited by 5Sqn-Pilot; 26th Mar 2009 at 15:51. Reason: Amendment for extra info