PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 26th Mar 2009, 14:49
protectthehornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Safety may be correct about confusing the tailplane stall scenario with the Saab...we shall see.

Chuks...talking about attitude and the like. IF you are demonstrating stalls and trying to be graceful and smooth, your plan is fine. IF YOU ARE REALLY STALLED, the heck with attitudes, just push, don' t think...push. Being smooth is just fine...until it doesn't work. I've taught flying (former CFIIMEI) and in the real world, if you really stall without planning it, INSTINCT has to take over.

One of my students was in a real, life and death stall as he maneuvered to avoid traffic using the wrong traffic pattern at a high mountain area airport. Years after his lessons he came up to me and told me that pushing, without thought, saved his family.

ACMS, of course the height above ground is a vital part of stall recovery (or its brother, windshear recovery), but in the simulator we look at about 100 feet...if the BUF crash had lost 500 feet and recovered to flying speed by using the blind PUSH technique that I wrote about, wouldn't that truly be better than spinning into the ground? I've done the technique you talk about for the 737 in the sim, other jets too. Someday, if you are flying around and you lose an engine while you are stalling, just push!!!!!!!

Long ago it was always taught....better to crash into the ground UNDER CONTROL and NOT STALLED than to just spin in, fully stalled.