PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 26th Mar 2009, 13:46
SASless

Received 511 Likes on 213 Posts
Outhouse,

Thus we agree.....but add in the other position that I take and you will see why I am very critical of the oil companies. That being....the use of "Best Practice" standards would require the individual oil company to use the most stringent standard worldwide in their operations even if they exceeded the "local" standard. If that were so....the Gulf of Mexico would be a much different place than it is now. Nigeria would be a much different place than it is now.

I dare say there is a particular operation in Oz that would be very much different.

How can an oil company operate to different standards using the "local regulations" as the base for their standards and thus operate so very much differently within their own company as a result?

I again lay the primary responsibility squarely on the back of the oil companies. We could say the same thing about Helicopter Operators....Industry Best Practice Standards should be the requirement and be standardized throughout the company operations.

That would put the oil company into synch with the operators.....as the oil company would then not do business with the operators which fell short of the desired standard possessed by the industry leaders.

We know the oil company prefers the lowest bidder....and will accept a minimum standard rather than pay for the "Industry Best Standards Model".