PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 26th Mar 2009, 13:23
outhouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi SASless,
My last post was going on a bit and I did not want it to be a book. Yes absolutely as I mentioned the client has as you indicate. As one who has been subject to many audits from oil companies and airworthiness authorities, been interrogated and had to demonstrate compliance for not only the contractual obligations but the requirements of legislation I know the form. The detailed inspection of records, and company procedures, and on and on. However the audit report and grading of the findings and the response from the operator and the compliance to the audit findings is never the end.
Yes the oil company douse, but only to the specific requirements they have. They do not dictate the legislation and never will, they can however control there own standard and safety requirements. In some cases they would be expected to pay additional costs to support, (HUMS when it originally was introduced to the NS was financed by Shell and the authority) as an example.
Please when being critical one must be specific, you cannot lump a statement re safety, operators, regulators and other service providers all have different responsibilities.
Comment re Perceived lack of safety and compliance with standards needs clarification, then discussion is productive.
I will state that to a question “Has Helicopter Safety improved in your experience” the answer is “YES”. Is continued improvement required ‘’YES’’ to the question is enough being done to regulate and control ‘’NO’’
O