PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyjet
Thread: easyjet
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2009, 11:29
mikehammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cmon-Pullup

I agree that a lot of people will jump ship from Easy, when they can, exactly the same happened at Ryanair a few years ago, they were bleeding pilots main artery style, until they realised that they had to at least give them a fair crack at base choice, and also stabilise the roster situation. Arguably the situation there now is the minimum basic requirement to keep people, I won't say happy, but to keep people or rather to lose a lot fewer than previous figures.

Management, in any company, need to realise that the imposition of change in terms and working conditions needs to be tackled with kid gloves. Negotiation and agreement is the only way, unless you don't care if you replace your whole workforce, or a substantial, formerly valuable, part. Some changes are just not worth the cost saving because of the damage to the way people will work for you due to their changing attitude towards management and the workplace. I think that this damage is occurring now at Easy, from what I read here, and from those I know who work there.

Question is, when will they be able to move on, how much will it cost the company - I am guessing they have projected figures for the financial implication, but it is simply not possible to guess how the company will change as a result of changing attitudes.

I think one thing is certain: there will not be a problem replacing those who leave, however you are right in that there is a financial cost in this, and a hidden cost also. Perhaps interestingly, Easy will possibly become more like Ryanair, with far fewer career Easyjet pilots than before, more and more might join, serve their two years or whatever is their goal, and move on. I hope management have accounted for all of that.

For myself, I would still, one day, like to work for Easy, but it is now more an opportunity to progress temporarily, rather than to settle there long term. That way I can let the current management style wash over me and not be too concerned about it. Frankly I can think of no other defence to being valued how Easy appear to be valuing staff currently.