PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would you deal with this?
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2009, 10:41
Mr_Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hand swing one aircraft I fly as a matter of course (DH82) and have the utmost respect for this film. I have not yet come across a bad start and *always* start with the trottle at full idle and have a hand positioned to pull myself back over the wing in the "worst case senario" that somethign should go wrong. I am in easy access of the mags and thottle too. Hand swinging a prop that is at body height and not designed to have that happen is ludicrious. I shudder to think that people still try and do this today.

In this case there are many factors that mounted up on the poor guy trying to get his end away, maybe if there was a little more blood flow to his brain he would have realised his short comings. I never fly to impress anyone, and think that people who do should speak to the amount of "old timers" I have in their accounts, of this guy was "just flying over his newly wed wife etc".

I remember a good quote that someone else posted here some time ago. The regulations we fly by, whilst not always being as clear and straightforwards as we would like, are written in the blood of those that have gone before us, proceed with caution.

on second thoughts, I change my mind to Tark57's response.... all those years of training for the russian ballet I knew were going to come in handy someday!