PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Float plane down in Rotorua
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2009, 10:09
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSN

Airlines generally wait until the outcome of a formal investigation before they start blaming people or questioning perfomance and ability.
No, they don't. The normal response to an accident where people are hurt, is to ground the pilots pending the outcome of the investigation (ie guilty until proven innocent), or at least until the end of an internal investigation.

More to the point, it is OK (although definitely not PC) to use a little common sense. So if, for example, a pilot takes off on a two hour flight with one hour of fuel in the tanks, do you really need a report to tell you what is blindingly obvious?

It is common on these fora for everyone to try and appear wise and measured by saying "wait for the report", but I'll bet most of them not only have an opinion, but openly share it amongst their peer group. But such is the nature of PPRuNe.

The stats I have seen all point to a decease
I'm not talking about the raw stats, I'm talking about the reasons behind them. I see an increase in poor judgement an inexplicable decision-making going on there. The raw stats don't really give a meaningful picture as the sample is too small, which I guess we should be thankful for. Having said that, there is noticeable upward trend since 2007.