PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African ATC
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2009, 08:13
SINGAPURCANAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
having faced similar situation in the past,I would like to give my opinion.
There is no single management in the world with the idea to pay workers.If they have an opportunity to pay nothing for your work they will do it. that logic is not good for business but it is excellent for management and theirs supporters(politicians in case of ATC business).
Management in your company made a lot of mismanagement decisions so now your company will pay the price.They could not avoid situation to lease/recruit foreigners.
If someone believe that an average European ATCO will go there for the same money as they have at home,I must say it is stupid idea. Even myself(as lowest paid APS/SUP ATCO in Europe) is not interested to go to SA for your salary.
You may consider that you wouldn't find qualified ATCO for JNB or CPT below 12 000 euros per month.All cost included(housing,recruitment process,trainning,air tickets ,company's car and so on).
Unofficial standard in my ex-country and now as well is: If you are going somewhere else than your primary location,in order to solve staff shortage at that location than you will get more or less double salary for that month. especially if you are sent abroad.
So,standard European ATCO salary(when you take into consideration local costs,benefits other tna salary and related issues) is around 5000 euros/per month.
So do not expect that you will see leased ATCOs from Europe below 12 000 euros/per mont.That will be the price that your company/state will pay for that solution.
How much of those money will stay in ATCOs pocket is different question.
You will have two option,to accept such deal,help to ex-pats to validate and survive World Cup(by the way Cup will be held at 2010 and Serbia will take a title) or,
you will not accept that combination and you will see what are the real problems with traffic congestion and staff shortage combined.And your salary will remain more or less the same level as it is today. You wouldn't get huge pay rise,if you rejects ex pats.