PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK407 Tailstrike @ ML
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2009, 06:47
High 6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircraft Self Weighing

If I may add my two dirhams worth to the aircraft weight issue...

With the current airfield technology available, why can't they design weighing pads at the parking stands that will give an aircraft's weight dynamically to within a given acceptable tolerance e.g (+/- 1000kgs) and displayed on a board somewhere that all can see.

This would be used only as a reference weight for load masters and aircrew, the load sheet would still remain the legal dispatch document, but at least the risk of a gross error can be greatly mitigated.

I believe this is used on some helicopters and biz jet operations, although those systems are portable, similar to the lift/pushback tugs. Of course trucks have been using the drive on system for years for road tax purposes, why can't we use the same to make aviation safer?

As for the other ongoing discussion on the "EK ETD - 15 mins window of controlled chaos" , this is certainly an area that could be better managed, having been subjected to it for the 15 yrs.

But for sure, the assistance of the other relief crew members is an added bonus and definitely not a hinderance. I do not agree with the ramblings to the contrary on this forum. H6