PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane ditches off Brampton Island
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:55
werbil

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One fuel starvation ditching in 10 years, don't think the policy is the problem.
It depends on how many other fuel starvations occured - especially if there were other fuel starvation accidents.

The last paragraph of post #87 is excellent advice.

I can't work out table 1 in the report - I think it suggests that the aircraft should have used 30l between YBMK and YBPI and 0l fuel between YBPI & YBHM. Is it me or the ATSB that can't add up?

The report states that an unsecured bag created major problems for one of the pax - they had difficulty undoing their seat belt and had difficulty getting out of the aircraft because of this bag and they were the only person on board to have a bone fractured. A reminder of the importance of securing baggage.

Just out of interest what is the recommended flap setting for a ditching in a PA-32? More flap equals slower stall speed and a lower pitch angle on ditching. The fact that the aircraft remained floating upright for a few minutes and allowed everyone to evacuate the aircraft suggests that a flapless ditching in those conditions works OK.