PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A history lesson in Australian Aviation for a certain reporter...
Old 26th Mar 2009, 00:11
denabol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Essendon in a big jet

I remember reading about Garuda trying to land at Essendon, or make that Pascoe Vale, but at least it didn't actually hit anything.

Wasn't there a collision over Sydney a long time ago when an international flight clipped the tail of a TAA jet, or maybe the other way around, and had its innards hanging out when it landed on a foam carpet. But it wouldn't have had as many people on board as the Emirates jet. Someone also ran off the east west runway at Sydney into the Cooks River about the same time in a 707 but I guess no one swallowed the water or they would have died for sure.

My worst fright was being in Mackay the night a TAA Friendship never made it coming in over the sea. We heard screams from a house down the street after someone had driven back from the airport with the news that he hadn't picked up a family member because the plane hadn't turned up. That put me off flying for a long time.