PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO 4 Examining
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2009, 22:31
Arik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICAO 4 Examining

I'm an examiner of a ICAO 'equivalent' examination. I cannot take this out of the country but I do know the requirements (feeling like I'm losing sense of it all already)

What I'd like to know having been approached by a Latin American country is 'can I examine/sign off relevant aviation people'?

My answer is 'no'

Reason being is that I would like to have some sort of ICAO examination body, behind me. Yes, I'm a native speaker & a well-qualified instructor/examiner but if I sign it off & tomorrow there's an 'incident' in this Latin American country due to the incompetence of Capt. X's standard of English - where do I stand?

It seems to me that I can put an exam together, get it rubber-stamped by the powers that be at ICAO and have a pot of gold. I don't want this; I'd like to see a universal level & exam worldwide. I certainly don't want an incident of some kind on my hands because I have approved Senor X to be Level 4 or 5.

The authority in question came to me (via e-mail) saying that their personnel were already 4,5 or 6. So if I go back to them and say sorry but I found 35% of them were at Level 3, you can imagine what might occur!

Please give your viewpoints ... I'm lost - the whole 'race' to Level 4 has become ridiculous in my eyes!

Arik