PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 25th Mar 2009, 17:30
q100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given that a stall beginning at 125 Kts is entirely consistent with a 105 Kt stall speed and a 1.42 g load causing an accelerated stall (by my math, at just over 124 kts) it does not sound like ice was a factor. That's probably why they're looking at the crew's actions...

What really ought to be looked at, and it is hinted at, is the way the FAA insists upon stalls being demonstrated in training (full power, minimal or no altitude loss) - interpreted by most check airmen it seems as "hold your pitch attitude." Trying to do that against a stick pusher could be really interesting....

Primary training I think gets it right - first priority is to reduce angle of attack, while at the same time using full power (which also, by increasing speed, usually helps reduce AofA) to minimize altitude loss. That is just my opinion. I usually started new students out by recovering without use of power, then working up to worrying about minimal altitude loss.

Last edited by q100; 25th Mar 2009 at 17:44. Reason: clarity