PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - T5 - Conformance ( a rant)
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2009, 14:43
Brown and Alcock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said SLF3B.

I had the misfortune to be one of the first pax to pass through T5 last year. What a chaotic shambles! The joke was that I know from an industry insider that they had been running trials for months before opening yet - BA couldn't get their staff to the right places at the right times because hadn't validated their passes or some such nonsense. Failed conformance?

I would avoid that place like a dose of the trots but I guess the Nigels are happy with their petty rules and regulations. Everyone classed and classified, pigeon holed into to their little system, so that they know where you are, where you're going and when and where you've been - but not a clue who you are. Process for profit.

A mate of mine used to be a beancounter for a chicken processor. His view was that there was actually no difference between running and airline and running his business - except the pax don't actually end wrapped in cling film in a refrigerator!

I have been no fan, and only a customer through necessity, of Blighty Airways since the Ayling era. Before then, I think BA had a deserved reputation but now, they have the same lame air about them as Aeroflot used to have ( actually, I've not flown with Aeroflop for some 10 years! and they might not have changed. ) Look at some of their smaller competitors Emirates and Virgin are two airlines that I think work hard to please the customer and benefit as a result. Are they as profitable per pax? I don't know but, I know where I spend my $.

Sad fact is that you will never convince a bean counter that the customer actually matters until they start voting with their feet. Look at Ryanair - Mr O leery is an absolute horror and the pax love it. If he told them that they would now need to pay double to get back from whichever remote airfield he has dumped them - even if they have a valid ticket - I bet that each and every one of them would be back the following week for the next unfeasibly cheap destination - even if they don't actually know where it is or want to go. The similarity with battery hens keeps coming back to me! Why is this? Is air travel addictive? Are all Ryanair customers submissive masochists? or, do they just like bargain? I suspect the latter - it's so cheap we have to go!

For as long as Ryanair and other predatory Budget beasts roam the earth the days of customer care will remain a thing of luxury. So why would anyone else provide frills if they don't need to?

Does anyone know if BA are more punctual than Ryanair?