PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last Sea Harrier carrier departure
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2009, 14:15
Ronald Reagan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colt now has sheep on it keeping the grass down! Lots of moss on the runway etc. The prison is being built round the back. It sounds mad but there seems to be more security round the back now with the building site than when it was an active RAF base. It kind of looks like a ghost town. If you used to serve there I suggest its not wise to go back. Its so depressing to see.
I see one or two people obey the party line and seem to think the cuts are/were a good thing.
My question is as a country exactly what do we have left!? No Jaguars, no SHARs, very few f-3s and soon to be none, F*** all Typhoons, f*** all Harriers which work and as for the GR4 force about 4 jets per squadron which work at anytime! Plus more cuts rumoured!
Would it not have been easier to scrap the lot and buy a 'real' number of something like F-16s, F-18s or both!? Maybe 100 of each! Still only gives us about 200 jets total which is not a lot really. A total combat force of 300 to 500 would be about right! (Also a proper Fleet Arm with Navy pilots flying from Navy carriers).
It amazes me but we have so little. When my namesake was American President he must have created truely the greatest military force the world has ever seen!
As for the person who asked if I think this country has a future, I don't think the UK has any future. We are a hugely over populated tiny island, full of immigrants, welfare scroungers and other ilk with 3 main politcal parties who are all totally crap. I think unless something drastic changes this country is finished.