PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Practice stalls- when to recover?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2002, 06:19
alphaalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My own experience is:

I was taught at PPL training to recover from fully developed stalls entered 1. no power & clean, 2. some power & flap. Also recovery from incipient spin. Isn't this normal? I remember being fairly comfortable with this, being introduced progressively, although the first wing-drop was quite unnerving. I think I did this training at about 6-9 hours total time - definitely before first solo.

For US/Australian BFR renewal, stalls included the 'departure stall' (full power, no flap) and the 'landing configuration stall' (some power, full flap/gear and 30 degrees of bank). In all cases the instructor wanted to see recovery at first sign of stall: buffet or stall-warner.

For ir training, the unusual attitude recoveries included approach to the stall: clean, in landing configuration (as per BFR above) and accelerated stall. In all cases recover at first sign of the stall.

All the above seems sensible to me -- i.e experience full stalls, so you know what it feels like and you can recover if needed, but concentrate on recognising the approach to the stall and recovering before it happens.

I also did a little bit on recognising and recovering from a spin during imc training (carried out in vmc, of course), but I don't think this was part of the syllabus.

Should we go out and practice full stalls & recoveries as part of our own program of maintaining currency? I have never done so.

Regards