PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UA pilot falls foul of idiotically low UK alcohol law
Old 25th Mar 2009, 10:43
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What part is wrong in what I wrote?

I don't think I am taking this problem lightly, just writing that nowadays it is handled in a surprisingly different way.

As to where I was in this, either a problem child or else a pious by-stander, I can call witnesses if I need to (they hang out on a forum nearby) but let's just say that I do know what I am writing about!

My teen-age daughter is at that happy stage of development where alcohol is still a delightful recreational drug; none of her friends have had time to develop a problem with it, I guess. (There was that kid from the village who hit a tree head-on, yeah, but he wasn't in her circle so that one doesn't count.) Sometimes I find myself telling her to take it easy, which she finds ever so laughable coming from someone she only knows as a non-drinker.

Here I guess I am just trying to show people looking in from the outside how aviation is trying to deal with alcohol abuse in a way that is humane but also protective of the traveling public. Take it or leave it.

As an aside: I lived in the East End of London, just off Mile End Road for about eight months. One quickly learned to stay off that main drag when the pubs were emptying after a big footie match had been shown! "Staggering, pugnaciously drunk" seemed to be the normal default mode then for the native Brits on show. My God! At least the drunks in Helsinki usually just lay there quietly so that tripping over them is the only risk.