PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airliner destroyed landing short after holding for a Cb. 100 survivors.
Old 2nd May 2002, 05:25
Slasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Which airline is this you ask? Youll have to tell us which area the airline comes from. I could make a pretty good couple of guesses though.

Ive had 2 microbursts (737) in the tropics which is exremley rare I must say.

* R24 MNL during the onset of the crossing of a typhoon edge moving E-W: 65 kts at 2000ft on final decreasing to 40kts by 1000ft. Tower wind was 25 kts gusting 35 with 5000M moderate rain. Very heavey dark rain observed on short finals.

At 400 ft at Vref+10 just becoming visual the nose dived and the wind went from 5kt tailwind componant to sudden 43 kt tailwind! Go around to stick-shaker with fire-walled throttles flown and recovered at 50ft, 3/4 way down the runway. Reported the incident and diverted. No prev reports from FEDEX aircraft who landed 12 minutes ahead.

* (actual microburst?) R20L SIN in heavey TS: At 2500 ft encountered extreme downdraft just before G/S intercept which required full throttle to maintain a 1200-1500 ft ROD at Vref-15 knots with intertmittant stick-shaker. Level flight gradient -capable after 15-20 loooong secs. Was suddenley GA gradient-capable after another 5 secs at 350ft, about 4nm from the runway. Reported the incident and got the hell out. No other prev reports but the cells were rapidly moving E-W.

Pants-crappin stuff indeed since they both occured at night! Had I not used the correct technique I think it couldve been far worse. Pretty rare in the tropics as I said where your worst problems tend to be approach downdraughts, and cross-wind and visibility nearing the ground. Anyone else know of MBs within tropic lattitudes?