PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UA pilot falls foul of idiotically low UK alcohol law
Old 25th Mar 2009, 08:47
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like a drink as much as the next man (I have one just now). I work for a company where we regularly spend several days away down route. Many of my colleagues enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, and nothing more, good for them. As I am not sure that I could exercise that level of control, and to avoid doubt on my part, I do not drink alcohol from the night before I start a tour until I get home at the end of the last day.

It is not because I am a stronger man than them, but because I am weaker. We are all responsible for our own behaviour, but also if I felt my colleague was "unfit" to fly, I would discretely invite him to call in sick and suggest that he might like to seek some help. I know a few former colleagues who had serious problems, and, with support, not only overcame them but also became outstanding councillors for those with similar issues.

I think UA should be praised for taking a firm but fair line to rehabilitate this pilot. Thankfully nothing terrible happened, and throwing someones whole life away when the opportunity for redemption exists would be very harsh.

Let he who is without sin.......

Very good post indeed.

I donīt drink alcohol at all, after being close to become an addict. I have been run over by a drunk car driver when I was 16 and spent 7 weeks in hospital as a result. So Iīm not in favor of in toxicated people. However we have to face the fact that they are ill.

On a side note: I spent a few overnights in the UK and given the amount of drunk people (especially youngsters) one can see there, I just wonder where they get enough sober ones to take blood samples in the morning. Heavy flat rate drinking is a huge problem for emergency services in my country these days. Time to rethink our position on alcohol. A zero tolerance also in cars is about time IMO.