PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNN Reports FEDEX crash in Tokyo
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2009, 03:50
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a pilot - and infrequent SLF...

There was a MD10/MD11 landing at McCaren in Vegas in 2005 which could have been similar - the aircraft touched, and a wing lifted because of serious ground level turbulence (what we commonly call "dust devils" here in the southwest) causing more lift on one side and nearly resulted in a wingtip touching the runway.

It made FOX and CNN, but I can't find anything at the NTSC site, probably because it wasn't a "real" incident. I don't recall hearing about any injuries or aircraft damage after.

(If anyone can recall this and comment, I'd appreciate it - I've tried finding the footage and can't. To me, it looked like that aircraft ran into a lot less headwind and some substantial crosswind at the same time.)

Seems like this one was a case of wind shear catching an MD11 at the most vulnerable point, and after watching this video a few times I start to doubt if any other frame would have fared much better.

My sympathies are with the families of the crew - I can't begin to imagine how it must be for them. Over-the-road truckers can now make nearly the same money and nobody umpteenth-guesses what they did when they're unfortunate enough to get killed on the job.

I've flown on MD11 several times and don't really recall anything bad about "the ride," although I have had to wait and transfer twice because of failures - an APU went south once, and "a problem with the navigation equipment" caused another.

As far as the comments regarding McDonnell, and Douglas, and Boeing - I don't know the full history of any of the companies, but it seems to me that at one point or another they have all built stellar aircraft.

It's sad that there is only room for 2 airframe makers now.

As a passenger, I've flown on DC8s, DC9s, B727s, B737s, A300s, A310s, A320s, B747s and B777s. And a slew of regionals.

What it really comes down to is the skill of the folks at the pointy end. And sometimes even skill can't overcome events.

Frankly, I miss the days when flying was part of the adventure of going somewhere, business or vacation.