PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Dispatcher.....
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2009, 22:19
Friendly Dispatcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get my PM LBA_Flyer?

Have to agree, one of the best ground jobs around, especially when things are going right but then where is the fun in that? If everything was going to plan and running itself, anyone could be a good dispatcher/co-ordinator. When things start to go wrong, that's what sorts the good from the not so good. Always be 5/10minutes ahead of yourself, keep the crew informed your fellow staff,

Being thick skinned helps. Accept that everyone has their own job to do, and that you will take some stick because you're not always making it easy for them. It's not a nursery school, it's serious business with big responsibilities. Try not to take it personally, you are on the front line, the figurehead left to explain all the problems and take the flak for it. It's not your personal fault that you're stuck with broken equipment, lack of staff, inadequate airport facilities... but you have to manage as best you can and explain to the crew that's why the flight is delayed.

You will met some wonderful people, some interesting characters and some arrogant obnoxious pr*cks, that's life, but for every one of those there are 10 great folk around.

Depending on the individual, shift work can be a gift. I can do 40 hours in shift work a week and have much more free and usable time than doing the M-F 9-5 thing. Rarely do I ever get caught in rush hour going to/from work.

Lots of fun and great experience. Jump at it if you get it. Let us know how you get on.