PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNN Reports FEDEX crash in Tokyo
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2009, 19:39
Steve Michell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying the MD11

Now, I actually fly the MD11. Left seat.
Too much speculation going on here.
Fact: An MD11 is just a plane. Certified and all, just like all the other birds out there.
Fact: LSAS provides PPL after touch down and I must say the new software makes it much easier to master for rookies. The fact that LSAS moves the elevator without the pilot handling the aircraft knowing it is to some disturbing. Not to digital jocks out there: they've given that up long time ago.
Fact: MD11 is actually certified with LSAS. It's got to operate and all redundant system working before departure.
Fact: main gears are fitted onto wing spar and THAT is not allowed in a new model anymore before certification. Gears are nowadays designed to shear i.s.o. taking the wing off.
Fact: I almost always fly with autothrottle and rarely override it. It's that good. Also in gusty wind conditions. It's even certified to auto fly itself out of windshear.
I wouldn't dare to say something about the skill of the pilots involved. May they rest in peace. But everybody who's been to Narita knows of the conditions with high wind.
Has anyone thought of an LSAS failure? The wind was strong enough to preclude an autoland so the LSAS should've kicked in as soon as the autoflight was disconnected. What if it didn't work as expected.
How about the following. How aware is any pilot of the longitudinal attitude of an airplane in the flare? A gust after a bounce could've sent the wings flying again without the pilots being aware of the aircrafts' negative pitch attitude developing, the flight deck still at an altitude above the runway that would've been expected.
Just a thought.
SM