PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure Experiances
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2002, 00:10
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never had a total engine failure.

In an A36 Bonanza I've had partial failure at night when a cylinder completely broke off while over the mountains between Brisbane & Tamworth. Didn't really know it at time since all I could perceive was an increased vibration - particularly below 2300 RPM - & a very slight odour of avgas & exhaust.

It was enough for me to realise that all was not quite right, make sure I had comms. with FS, and to maintain maximum altitude until overhead my destination.

It was subsequently revealed that the cylinder head had completely separated from the rest of itself at approx. TDC, and at the same time broken the inlet & exhaust manifolds and the fuel injection line.

The only thing keeping it in the engine bay were the spark plug leads.

Also another 3 heads were cracked.

This a/c had been repaired from a write-offable accident some years before, with these cylinders being the only ones kept after that prang.

I believe the only thing that stopped me going up in flames was that the fuel injector line broke, so that the spark plug's sparks were on the other side of of the metal...

The company's chief engineer said the a/c sounded quite sick (!)when I flew over prior to landing. I'm always glad he was there awaiting my arrival.