PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you cope with Captains from HELL?!?!
Old 2nd May 2002, 00:07
CaptainSquelch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

One of the thing I learned from an old instructor (and I mean old: he started flying two years before WW2) early in my carreer was that if you ever had a disagreement with the Captain you should not try a frontal attack. You're destined for defeat if ever you try that. First you'll have to face the Captain, than the company, than the government. Or if you are lucky you'll face your Maker before that.
The only way to work out a disagreement with this rare breed is a by asking questions.

"Captain, can I ask you a question." "Of course my boy, what is it?" "Sir, I was tought to land with the gear down; have you diliberately left it up or are you tired of life and trying to kill us all in the process?"

This line, in a new style of the 21st century, adjusted to the circumstances might still work. It puts the ball in his field and he'll have to return it.
A statement attacking his (assumed) flying skills or his (appointed) authority will certainly not work.

Now that I'm one of these stubborn old basterds I am still convinced that this approach works much better than the smart young Effo who "tries to teach his father how to .... ahh .... reproduce"

By the way A411 and P77, you two sound like a good team.

Have fun
Sq