PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UA pilot falls foul of idiotically low UK alcohol law
Old 24th Mar 2009, 15:07
VS-Toga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot believe the original post (other than the factual content which I knew about) and wonder if it's a jerk on the wind up. If so, it's success; I am actually quite wound up.

I am no big drinker, but if I drink a pint (60mg), I am aware of it, and that says it all.

In my humble opinion, there is no excuse for abusing the huge trust vested in you from both your employers and the public. If you can't respond properly to that trust then go push a pen, not a throttle.

It is also not only the pax on his flight at risk; analyse the risk profile of commercial flying and the risks on the ground, especially in densely trafficed airports, are equal to if not greater than those in the air. (don't get me wound up on taxi-ing speeds either!!)

The bottom line is if you judgement/reaction is impaired by even 0.05% then you should not do it, as, by definition, you are yourself increasing the risks.

Our industry spend millions tinkicking incidents and events. The same millions are spent on trying to control everything we can control, and offering proceedures and checklists to obviate risk; so is it not reasonable to assume self control should be a given?

Yes I admit by some of the standards on Pprune, there is moisture behind my lugholes, and I'm sure a few old hands might respond less than favourably to my opinion. If so, fair enough, but I believe in what I have written and those are the standards I abide by. No alcohol 48 hrs beforehand for me.

As for this:

Redemption and tolerance are good qualities - you should try experimenting with them sometime.
Would the families of any potential victims been prepared to experiment with the same redemption and tolerance?

Old Lizzy a village idiot? I think not. Idiot of global proportions; yes. ****head on the wind up; without question.

Rant over.