PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Dispatcher.....
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2009, 14:01
Manual Braking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to work as a flight dispatcher (turnaround co-ordinator), and in my opinion its the best job on the ground. Agree with all the training/need to know points stated above. A good dispatcher is one that is always thinking 5 minutes ahead. One other thing is be polite to everyone you deal with - not just pilots and c/crew but ramp staff, gate staff, refuellers, catering etc..., you will deal with them on a daily basis! If the pilot is having a whinge about something during the turnaround, make sure he/she is aware you are doing everything to resolve the matter. Be professional and polite (and safe). If the airline customer sees this you will get a good reputation amongst based crews.

Another tip is remain visible to the aircrew during the turnaround. I have seen dispatchers up at gates for most of the turnaround or spending ages in the office collecting paprework. I always thought it to be 'bad form' if the crew called up on frequency asking where the dispatcher was.

I do agree that ground handling companies should spend more time on dispatch/mass and balance training. I kid you not, there was one 'dispatcher' in our company who did not know the difference between an A319 and a B737(handed an A319 loading form to a B737 crew). He was a nice enough guy, who got very well with the female c/crew, and claimed he was not a 'plane spotter'!!