PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UA pilot falls foul of idiotically low UK alcohol law
Old 24th Mar 2009, 11:22
Old Lizzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Blessed are the self-righteous

Yes I probably am an idiot and I amuse myself by smiling like the village idiot at people and keep them guessing.

I am not advocating anyone drinking and flying at all; try to keep up. I am just aghast at the potential penalties for the new laws. Go to jail in a plane but not even get a ticket in a car? Pointless and likely to not cure the problem, just drive it further underground. When you have proactive management and rehab programs, then you can start to address the problem of substance abuse. I am very pleased to see this man's airline go to bat for him, turning out in force and making great pitches to let the courts know that they have intervened and can help this guy a whole lot more in house rather than in jail. Unlike the Virgin pilot at Washington a few Xmas's back, when his unenlightened boss Sir Dick, dropped him (fired and forgotten) like a hot potato - Branson can't handle anything other than great publicity. Two lives threatened, one career saved, and hopefully a family unit kept intact. I like the UA approach for sure. I wish I worked for someone like that.

I don't know what the US limits and could care less. I live on a little island and like being the local idiot. Panhandling is a great income supplement.....just need to wear a trash bag and borrow your neighbour's cute little dog....

Redemption and tolerance are good qualities - you should try experimenting with them sometime.