PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA and the 727 200
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2009, 11:10
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
more than a few to horrendous results, because they did it too early.

Being a bear of very little brain, it took me a while to figure out that it all came down to making sure that, at the end of the flare, the mains were only an inch or so off the seal .. then it didn't matter too much what you did. If, however, the mains were 6 inches off the seal ... it was a very different story .. the stuff of prayer meetings .. the closest I guess that we ever came to understanding the feelings of the Martyrs at the time of death ...

it requires little judgement as the ground effect will tell you when to do it.

Concur .. I called my version of that technique the closing-eyes-and-hoping-for-the-best approach and landing technique. All jokes aside, once folk got their eye in with the old lady, it was a delightful aeroplane. However, anytime one got a bit uppity and considered that one was now on top of things .. she would deliver a small (or large) slap just to remind one that she was OIC.

the 200 never seemed to like Vre+5, worked best Vref+10

The -100 was a conventional 1g stall certification, the -200 min speed. The notional difference was around 5-10 knots .. if you carried the extra speed on the -200, it behaved a lot more like the -100.