PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VMC requirement more restrictive in controlled airsapce?
Old 24th Mar 2009, 09:55
anti_casa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to thank NFR, Frink, and 43 inches for restating the rules and the obvious.

I was obviously not enquiring about what the rules are. I was enquiring as to why the VMC criteria are more restrictive and "safer" in a sanitised and supported environment (controlled airspace) as apposed to the 'anyone can be out here and not looking out the window' environment. I would have thought that in Class G airspace it would be more prudent to have more room between yourself and the surrounding cloud so that you can see who is out there, as ATC are providing any info.

The reason I am asking this question was because I was going to approach AIS about how this can be reviewed and possibly re-written, and wanted some feedback from other guys out there about the background reasoning.

As a regular low-level IFR operator, I find the regulations regarding the IFR visual departure uneccessarily restrictive, which can be linked back to the VMC criteria in controlled airspace, which is also uneccessarily restrictive.

Direct Anywhere raised a good point regarding 'ducking around cloud', but VFR pilots would still need to ask for the appropriate clearance if they were to 'duck around cloud' that is 1500m away to preserve VMC.

Thanks for the input Well Concerned. IFR aircraft OCTA would have the same issue though in regard to descending through the cloud base. And OCTA, they will not neccessarily get a 'heads up' that the traffic is there.