PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Thunderbirds for Townsville?
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2009, 09:55
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are we all talking about the same Thunderbirds here, i.e the USAF F16s?

If so, how can anyone even comprehend using awesome and Thunderbirds in the same sentence? They are the most boring bunch of prima donas to walk the Earth and their show lacks originality, choreography and 'punch'. What you get to see is a bunch of guys taking half an hour to get to their aircraft (wow, all arriving at the steps at the same time), taking an absolute age to get in the air (but showing us how they can all lower their canopies at the same time and how smartly they can salute) and then, despite flying an aircraft that could really 'wow' the crowds, given it's manoeuvering capabilities, they bore everyone fartless with flypasts that could be flown by anyone in military flight school.

A formation of four is not impressive and neither is their show. If you're a gullible septic then you'll go all gooey and clutch your heart because, amazingly, the aircraft produce smoke in red, white and blue. God bless America and all that patriotic nonsense.

You want CLOSE formation, watch the Blue Angels. You want to see an impressive display of a decent sized formation, watch the Red Arrows. You want to see punch, flare and some very skillful flying, watch the Patrouille De France (you wouldn't believe how much that hurts to say that ) but, as my daughter would say, perleeze, the Thunderbirds. Save my money and buy some paint to watch drying; it's a damned sight more interesting.

Ahh, that's better

PS: Ex-military fast jet and ex-display pilot, whose had to endure airshows with the Thunderbirds in both the UK and in the USA. I say that only to stop the 'well how would you know brigade'.

Now back to cattle mustering and floatplanes; that's much more interesting.......