PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA30 Twin Comm, Aztec or Seneca I?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 22:39
ika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for an aztec

I have a nice model E, having owned (and still flying a single Comanche, sold to a friend, flew last Saturday). The Aztec will get in and out of virtually anywhere (last weekend I and the owner of the Comanche went into a 500m grass strip normally used by microlights in the Aztec without any problems) and has a rugged undercarriage that doesn't mind bumpy grass. It's about the only twin that doesn't limit your options for strips compared to an average single (and outperforms many on short fields).
I actually found it more fun (although obviously less sporty in handling) than the single Comanche to fly - it was a bit bumpy and the Aztec was much smoother. You can carry anything you like, 6 adults, full fuel, baggage (and lots of volume as well as weight capacity - I emptied the back of a large car full of luggage into it and took 4 kids and partner on holiday). Single engine is a non-event - I have just been talking to someone who recently lost an engine (cylinder detached) in his when 6 up on a warm day and calmly continued his flight to the maintenance airfield on one engine. I learnt MEP on a Seneca and found if you don't quickly pin the blue line, it goes down, whereas doing Multi-IMC renewal in the aztec was not so taxing - the docility and power is I think important for someone like me - a low time MEP pilot. As a single comanche owner, all I ever read was that the twins frequently bit unwary pilots. All I've ever heard about Aztecs is that they are forgiving. Someone might correct me but I'm pretty confident from what I've researched that there are relatively few accidents in Aztecs (not sure if that's true for Apaches) following a single engine failure and quite a few in Senecas and Comanches.
Downside is it's not that fast (I had 176 kts ground speed on Saturday at 13-14 us gph/side, generally cruise at about 160kts at 12 gph/side) compared to some others (B58, 310 which cost a lot more and need more runway) but unless you are regularly going on 400 mile trips the extra time is minimal compared to the time at each end. Some of them have very dated panels and whatever you spend on updating it, you are unlikely to change its value that much. I got one because it was cheaper than a Baron and I wouldn't now swap if money were not a factor. However, if you plan to confine yourself to respectable hard runways and do lots of long distance flying, you could spend a bit more on something faster.