PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Dispatcher.....
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 19:22
Dropline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say you couldn't be a good load controller without having been a dispatcher first - how on earth can you plan the loading of an aircraft properly if you don't have an idea of the sizes of holds of various aircraft, or where the hold doors are, or which hold positions can be used for different bins or pallets. You need the knowledge of the ramp and loading procedures to be able to load plan an aircraft so that it both trims well and can be loaded easily by the loaders.

Having worked both as a load control trained dispatcher and with a CLC system I can say I absolutely hate CLC. I would much rather have full control and responsibility for my own load planning and loadsheets. A system of CLC falls down particularly when last minute changes to loading are required, as believe it or not it takes longer to communicate with CLC and await their instructions than it would for me to work out and implement the necessary changes myself.

Servisair have a CLC based in Manchester, as do Swissport, although I don't know if all stations use them or if some still do their Load Control locally.

Most handling agents and more and more airlines are moving towards CLC and the dreaded "standard loading instructions" because it is cheaper and means they can reduce the amount of training required for new dispatchers, and get away with paying them less... Reading other sections of this forum, I am shocked to see how little some handling agents are paying their dispatchers/TCO's these days, especially when you consider the responsibility the position carries!