PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK407 Tailstrike @ ML
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 18:20
James7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snoop Take Off Acceleration

This is an extract taken from the MK Airline flight 1602.

Quote:-
Also of interest was an incident that occurred on 18 July 2002, when an MK Airlines Limited B747-200 had a take-off performance incident in Sapporo, Japan. The first officer completed the take-off data card using the runway analysis charts for the applicable runway. The captain checked the card and found it to be correct. The take-off weight, as indicated on the card, was written as 258 000 kg, rather than the correct weight of 358 000 kg. Gross error check speeds had also been set using 258 000 kg. The loadmaster presented the load sheet to the captain for checking and he signed it. The load sheet indicated 358 000 kg, but the difference in weight was not detected. The airspeeds and EPRs were set for 258 000 kg. During the early stages of the take-off roll, the flight crew noted that the aircraft was not accelerating normally, and the take off was rejected at approximately 30 to 40 knots. On review of the take-off data card, the error was detected and a new take-off data card was completed using the correct weight. The subsequent take-off was uneventful." - end quote.

The report also believed that the crew of 1602 were sufficiently fatigued not to realise the lack of acceleration.

I am not suggesting in anyway that something similar happened here. I am a firm believer that the study of historical incidents and accidents enhances Flight Safety.

This is a link to the:- Boeing 747-412 9V-SMT, flight SQ286, tail strike during take-off, Auckland International Airport, 12 March 2003.

Tail strike due to fact that Vr was calculated 33 knots less than the required 163 kts.

Aviation Reports[G]skins%2ftaicAviation%2fskin_aviation

I would hope that some initial report would be out soon. Someone knows for sure.

Last edited by James7; 23rd Mar 2009 at 18:58.