PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I too old to get a job when I've finished flight school?
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 17:53
will77t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice so far. I guess the last two projects has put me in a relatively favourable financial position. I could afford to pay for the flight training but after the wedding and the travel I’d not have a great deal left.

I’m fortunate enough to have good family and prospective family-in-law whom we could stay with while training. My partner is a teacher and with her salary and no mortgage payments (if we’re living with family) we’d be able to survive during training.

The only thing is once I’ve passed the training I’d be 34/35 (as would my wife) and we’d really have to start thinking about a family. As such I would need a well paid job pretty quickly. I have a friend who finished at Oxford about a year ago and worked with Flybe and has now landed himself a job with BA. He’s on over £50k a year which is excellent. Having read a few of these threads it does appear that this is very much the exception rather than the norm. I know he did well at flight school but he was (and is) about five years younger than me.

Is his experience very unlikely or damn near impossible considering my age, experience and timing?

P.s. I’m just trying to get clear objective advice and I know the above could be considered unrealistic.