PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Confuser? - CONFUSED alright!!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 14:14
skyhighbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL Confuser? - CONFUSED alright!!

Guys, (I need some support here )

My confidence has been torn to shreds! After diligently learning PPL Air Law (AFE books) and getting between 90-100% on the chapter questions and also on the 3 practice tests in AFE's PPL Simplifier, I thought I should try more questions.

So I bought the PPL confuser as everyone seems to rave about it. Suddenly my average for Air Law went to something ridiculous like 65%!!!! I hardly understood the questions. A lot of the regulation/law questions were things I haven't seen before - and I cross referenced this with the AFE Pratt books.

When you read an explanation of the answers, it obvioulsy copies word-for-word the exact description in either the ANO or ICAO Chapter X Paragraphy Y.

Should I be reading the ANO and ICAO- every page and chapter too?? My confidence has really taken a hit with this book. What is more like the real thing- the Pratt AFE books or the PPL Confuser? My confidence has really taken a hit here.

Please let me give you an example question from the PPL Confuser:

Q28 (Pg6)

An a/c that is registered in the UK when undertaking an International Flight, must have on board a certificate of airworthiness that was issued by ..(A)..and validated by ..(B)..

a) The UK.CAA....any ICAO contracting State
b) any ICAO contracting state...any ICAO comtracting State
c) any ICAO contracting state...the UK. CAA
d) The UK. CAA...the UK.CAA

The answer is C. The explanation given as such:

8(1) Subject to paragraph (2), an a/c shall not fly unless there is in force in respect thereof a Certificate of Airworthiness duly issued or rendered valid under law of the country in which the a/c is registered or the State of the operator, and any conditions subject to which the certificate was issued or rendered valid are complied with.

Now I may not be a lawyer but exactly what part of "valid under law of the country in which the a/c is registered or the State of the operator" is equal to "any ICAO contracting state?"

Guys, even without this example question, my confidence has really taken a hit with the PPL confuser.