PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Roster Woes - Are We Going Back To The Bad Old Days
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 10:00
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Roster Woes - Are We Going Back To The Bad Old Days

I am dismayed to learn that are management are mounting a campaign to remove the current Equal Time Roster which has thus far produced some tremendous benefits, not only at a personal level, but for the overall saferty and operating health of the Company.

Whilst I understrand that in these times the Helicopter Operators must naturally looking to maximise productivity and profit in all areas of the operationsI cannot help but feel dismayed, THAT YET AGAIN the easy target would appear to be the pilots rosters.

In my neck of the woods, all three operators currently provide equal time rosters for the pilots. So no doubt if my Management are successful in achieving their aim, each operator in turn will end up with no option but to follow suit, just to remain competetive. A TRULLY VERY THIN EDGE OF A WEDGE.

Why is it that AOC Management think that stretching the crews thin, reducing wages and any other terms and condition we might have, of the workgroup that takes the most risk seems to be their only response the moment the accountants start shuffling in their over-padded leatherbound seats.

Prior to the Equal time roster, I lost count of the number of times I sat at the controls holding at W5, only to be startled by a large object filling the windscreen (A737 landing on the threshold or something like)......Realising I had been day-dreaming or just shagged from endless fatigue enducing, bone crushing misery of a non-cyclical in-human roster pattern.

Why should it be that:

ALL OTHER OPERATIONAL AREAS OF THE OFFSHORE INDUSTRY OPERATE ON EQUAL CYCLICAL TIME - as their management recognise the extreme pressure and fatigue caused by irregular roster patterns.

MY MANAGEMENT THINK SO LITTLE OF ME that they expect me to tell my family that I have no idea when I will work or when I will be home. Birthdays, Holdiays, family time - FORGET IT. Despite my dedication, hard work and expertise my life and my families lives, forever, are expected to be operated on a basis of chaos.

DESPITE THE CRY'S OF "SAFETY IS OUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY" The Management are trying to take us back to the dark ages of rostering that has been proven is extremely fatigueing, physically destructive and emotionally disruptive as we are plunged into direct conflict with our families trying to lead normal lives.

I URGE both my Management and the Pilot workforce to explore all avenues avaiable to prevent removal of the Equal Time Cyclical roster.

Personally I AM NOT PREPARED TO GO BACK TO THE BAD OLD DAYS

ITS NOT SAFE

ITS NOT HEALTHY

ITS NOT PRODUCTIVE

And above all ITS NOT HOW I WANT TO SPEND THE REST OF MY WORKING LIFE.

DB