PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night offshore landings: a new approach?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 08:50
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Roundwego,

You make a very good point and I think the way forward is as follows:

We need to make a very clear description of the "Acceptable Visual References" that provide the "FDP" along the MDH line.

This description in its simplest form would refer to the "Ovality" afforded by the deck lighting.

The situation you describe is by far much harder to cater for in a simple description but we have discussed it at some length and we think:

It must obviously must include sightof some, or all of the helideck lights. Otherwise you cannot make a plan to manouvre into position to land. If Ovality is lacking, due to obstructions and such like, then sufficient texture and references, coming off the surrounding structure, when combined with visual parts of the helideck, provide sufficient references to enable the Final Descent to be made by sole visual reference alone.

I am working on a better description for the updated version of the profiles but I rather suspect it needs some kind of expertise, both in language and the technical side, to tidy it up into something that is watertight (if that is possible).

Of course the very fact that we hopefully are 200 feet above the deck at this point should give us a far better chance of assimilating and interpreting the avialable references.

SWAMP 76

Not sure what prompted your tirade but "Shell Bashing" is not catered for on this Thread. Start one of your own!!!

"Things go well with Shell" (Apart from you - seemingly)