PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 08:41
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedmarque

Mystical pilot-only-understood CRM
I don't want to take this thread on a tangent so I will just copy and paste what I wrote on another thread with reference to CRM. Sorry to say that most of your co-workers ARE aware of what it means, and a discussion on a bus of factors involving ALL of our employment doesn't really amount to a CRM problem.

Generally, in an emergency, the workload for the pilots goes up a 'tiny' bit. With the great outside world impacting through vastly increased radio chatter and the requirement to 'keep the aircraft safe'. The spare capacity to deal with other outside influences not directly related to the said problem depends upon the flight crew on the day.

Good CRM enables the Captain to reliably expect a standardised information package delivered to him through SOP channels with a minimum of embellishment to assist in his decision making.

That is the 'emergency' scenario.

As for cabin problems, I fully expect that the No.1/Purser/CSD will have briefed their teams to follow the correct procedures and the correct lines of communication in the event of any disruption in the cabin. The CC are trained specifically to deal with that scenario in the same way that I am trained to deal with aircraft problems. I have the confidence and respect for them that they will do their job correctly and to the best of their ability on the day just as I would hope they have the same confidence in me. As such CRM allows delegation of those decisions and responsibilities to the No.1/Purser/CSD.

The CRM training we receive has always been together with CC and highlights the problems, workload and time pressures put on those in front and behind the cockpit door. It has always worked well and most come away with a highlighted sense of what goes on in the others departments.

CRM is not 'fluffy bunny' it is efficient use, direction and co-ordination of all crew assets. It is particularly needed to enable a crew to function as a cohesive unit in the event of a major malfunction where time, stress, fear and anxiety may try to overturn training, experience and professionalism.

Ignore it if you wish but, to be honest after flying for years before this 'CRM' stuff started, it is one of the few good things to come out of the Human Resources department!

Just my spin.
CRM aside, we are all still entitled to our opinions, if you feel so deeply that is should not be discussed on a bus, or that the debate is getting to such a heated point that you feel it could impact upon your ability to do your job then, under CRM, it is YOUR responsibility to say so. CRM covers all of us, don't just blame the flight crew for discussing something you don't like.