PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night offshore landings: a new approach?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2009, 13:04
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Helicoparitor and Special 25,

Some clarification/capitulation needed,

THE SIGHT PICTURE

Is the view afforded to the Crew when they are on the Ideal Glidepath. The Ideal Glidepath (and therefore the sight picture) extends upward and downwind from the Helideck at an angle that in the opinion of the Crew that night, based on their training and familiarity, is the approach/descent slope they should ideally to follow.

Without fancy glideslope indicators we are only left with "Deck Ovality" as JimL calls it to guide us regardless of the actual shape of the deck.

The MDH, is a horizontal line, drawn from abeam the helideck, back to infinity at an agreed Increment above deck height.

THE POINT INSPACE I CALL THE CTB

Is the point at which MDH intersects the Ideal Glidepath or sight picture.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT

HeliComapritors idea of "Final Descent Point" (FDP) is abolutley SPOT ON and again says exactly what it means.

I REALLY LIKE IT

So from now on I hearby offcially give up on the CTB and swap it (If helicomparitor is ameniable) to the FDP.

So can we all agree for the sake of progression that DBs "CTB" from now on is referred to as the "FDP" and is defined as:

The point in space where the MDH intersects the Ideal Glidepath, as determined by the crew on the night based on their training and familiarisation and drawing reference from the "Ovality" of the helideck lighting.

Helicomparitor. I would like to amend my submission and presentations using your new FDP would you please PM and say its OK as it was your Idea. Thanks.