PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Highland Flying School in Administration?
Old 22nd Mar 2009, 10:48
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-YR

I have had a few contacts with people about this aircraft and it being a bitch to land.

My method which seemed to work every time.

1. fly the approach at the correct speed as usual.

2. Normal round out

3. Power off and start flaring now don't let it touch down until you feel the back of the aircraft drop. You will need to put quite a bit of back pressure on it to stop her landing then let her sit down on the runway. This is occurs after the ASI has started reading zero. You will be at very nearly taxi speed when you land.

If you don't wait for the drop in the tail,the bounce used to be very impressive with some students trying put it on the deck at book speeds managing to get 30-40ft.

I don't know what was up with it but it used to cruise at 5-10knts faster than any other C172 I had flown. And apart from the landing she was sweet to fly never did manage to stall her.

I suspect mungo that in 6 months time if you walk in the door you won't see much difference. I won't be involved but I have a sneaky suspicion after chatting to one of the characters a couple of weeks back it might be a bit of a phoenix resurrection for training at INV. With more of a club with training. Than a school who has to share a building with a club.