PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK407 Tailstrike @ ML
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2009, 05:46
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hempy;
the only other explanation for not reaching flying speed by the end of the runway I can come up is a gross (almost fatal) miscalculation of power settings.
In post #81, I stated, "Thrust levels would not likely be an issue. There are two thrust lever positions for such a takeoff - TOGA and FLX/MCT. They would likely be well within the ability to use Flex takeoff thrust. The crew is warned if a Flex temperature isn't set or if the thrust levers are not in either the TOGA or FLX/MCT position."

By that I mean, it is not possible nor likely, that this is a power setting incident. If the runway and, if available, the Flex temperature, have been entered into the MCDU, (FMGC interface), providing the thrust levers were in the TOGA or FLX/MCT detent, the takeoff thrust will have been correctly set by the FADECs for the runway entered. These are not easy mistakes to make. I doubt if they were made.

An incorrect flap setting is also possible but unlikely. Also, an incorrect flap setting does not, under most but not all conditions, have that great a variance on V speeds and available lift right after takeoff.

What I can see, outside a mishandled rotation, is a possible error in the V speeds. I say this because these speeds are usually manually entered into the MCDU from data received over the ACARS. We know this is possible because, as we know, it has happened.

I understand and know that a heavy takeoff can rotate in the reds and whites. It's the last thousand feet I'd be concerned about.

Hot Dog;
Personal knowledge of a heavy L1011 landing due to a microburst at Narita. Common practice in Japan to detain the operating crew for the duration of the official investigation
Yes, agree - seen it. They don't mess around. Given the country I don't think it was wise to ferret the crew out of the country so there is an underlying story here that will emerge as to why, which will ultimately reveal who was right.

Last edited by PJ2; 22nd Mar 2009 at 21:23.