PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK407 Tailstrike @ ML
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2009, 19:30
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xkoote;

FWIW, I agree - I doubt very much whether this is "cargo-shift" related. According to the METAR there was a slight headwind. A ten-hour flight is not a long flight for this aircraft so it will not have been near the MTOW which, depending upon the MTOW "purchased" by the airline, is around 372k kg's.

Unless the PF was new on the airplane and perhaps mis-handled the rotation, while I think the primary cause may be simple, the factors leading to the incident will be more complicated than they appear.

Thrust levels would not likely be an issue. There are two thrust lever positions for such a takeoff - TOGA and FLX/MCT. They would likely be well within the ability to use Flex takeoff thrust. The crew is warned if a Flex temperature isn't set or if the thrust levers are not in either the TOGA or FLX/MCT position.

I would be looking at first at FMC entries, then at the speed calculation process. FMC entries are usually captured by the DFDR and sometimes by the QAR if the airline has a FOQA Program. The takeoff data calculation process is fully automated in many operations but initial data entries are made by hand when requesting such data, usually from the aircraft and sent to company via the AOC (Airline Operational Control) functions in the ATSU using the flight plan weights and ATIS weather. The final load numbers may or may not require a change in the takeoff data. My first inclination is to believe that the weight & balance data was correct as those processes are normally highly automated and highly accurate.

I certainly feel for the crew. I know crews who have had this happen to them and the processes now unfolding are not pleasant. Hopefully the aforementioned Just Culture is the way this will be approached. If they whack the crew they risk losing the opportunity to learn.

Last edited by PJ2; 21st Mar 2009 at 19:46.