PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2009, 18:23
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen please......

.....I think a little something is getting lost in the translation. The Cat A crosswind limit of 10 knts refers to the original CAT A clearance obtained for no less than 4 take off profiles made available to you guys - the customers - as of initial deliveries. That's more profiles (and therefore more options) than any other helicopter I know of. Naturally the envelope is capable of expansion but with so many things on the go and a lack of pressure from the largely non-Cat A operating world (and no perceived lack of satisfaction from those that have come in from the cold - and work to Cat A) other priorities have prevailed.

I think I am right in saying that due to a lack of first hand offshore experience in the AW set-up they imagined that the Cat A vertical Helipad profile would be ideal for offshore, however, it wasn't. This had to be revisited and as you hear is about to hit the streets. Obviously the revised procedure has achieved a wider crosswind capability but I guess it's only valid for the offshore profile.

BPaggi is right, AW are emerging as an extremely innovative and capable bunch of designers and engineers. Do they get everything right? No. Will they fix it if it's wrong? Yes. And this is just the beginning I feel.

By the way I don't work for AW - I just have the pleasure (not as often as I would like) of getting my hands on the only machine that leaves an irrepressible smile on my face instead of a stiff back (S76), a sore bum (S61), tinitus (S76A+) and a longing for terra firma (anything Russian). The AW139. I had that pleasure yesterday so I am motivated to sing that song a little louder today.

G

edited for grammar

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 21st Mar 2009 at 20:47.