PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2009, 17:58
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am very annoyed with young Andy199, gallivanting in Munich , while I work my fingers to the bone. I bet he is sitting in a bier kellar, a full stein in his hand ,and singing away to an umpah band.

But they won’t be singing. Du bist mien leibehr,
Mien klienes flieger,
Du bist mien lebher unterofizier

HARRYM Battlestead Hill is about eight miles South West of Burnaston, just above Tatenhill airfield..

Regle , Always the instructed, never the instructor. I did however receive a few letters from the A.M , after demob, asking if I wanted to re-enlist , but I commenced employment as soon as I returned home.

At St Athan we carried on with our studies, We next had to draw the instrument panel in our exercise books showing every instrument and switch, and memorize the position of every item.. How on earth we did this complicated task I can’t remember, but think we must have used a mock up panel.. This was followed by more drawings of the elevator and rudder controls., which were push pull tubes running down the port side . Next , was Action to be taken in event of controls jamming. How to disconnect Rudder and elevator push pull tubes , so that pilot could used tabs to control the aircraft
. If the ailerons became jammed, the instructions were to go to the rocking arm on main spar, and endeavour to knock straight . ~That must be the reason that every engineers large green tool bag , contained a large two pound ball pein hammer., not to mention a very large screwdriver about half a metre long. Every service , system, electrical circuit. Hydraulic circuit, and pneumatic circuit had to be studied, memorized, drawn and fully understood . I will not bore you with every detail, but will add a few more details on my next post , as you, like I thought at the time, might think what on earth could an engineer do on a Lancaster.