PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dedicated Home for Brilliant Pics on AH&N (Merged)
Old 21st Mar 2009, 11:52
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confederate Air Force, 1977

Shame it doesn't seem possible to show these in order as a slide show should be - is it me or photobucket??

The Mosquito had flown from UK to Texas in about 1974 and had stood outside in the Texas rain, sun and humidity since then. It was very tatty, and as far as I know scarcely flew after David Tallichet got it back to California - he in khaki overalls... The Buchons seem to have disappeared too, and the three or four (Casa) He 111s that arrived in pieces while I was there are likewise conspicuous by their absence today. At the time they had something like eight Mustangs and five or six Thunderbolts on strength and claimed to be the fifth or sixth largest "Air Force" in the world...Sadly the Confederate Air Force itself seems to have recently descended into politically (in)correct wishy-washy self-dout and renamed itself the commemorative air force - Sad.

They were a great bunch of people, incredibly dedicated, friendly and hospitable. My three weeks at Harlingen were some of the most memorable of my life, and getting to play in and around those fabulous machines is never to be forgotten.

Special appreciation to the then C.O. Col Jim Hill (praying in the Vultee Vibrator) and Malcolm Russell, my BOQ buddy, 'Nam Vet Huey mechanic and long-term volunteer mechanic at Harlingen. (also in the back seat in one of the B + W pics, as well as several others). One of the kindest guys I've ever met.

Oh, and thanks, Lefty, for the ride!

http://feed213.photobucket.com/flash...977%2Ffeed.rss"