PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 4
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2009, 11:18
aeroDellboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes of course it is about profit, but I am talking about long term and ensuring there is sufficient traffic to keep aircraft viable all year round, whether based at MME or elsewhere. If there aren't sufficient people travelling it will never make a profit. bmi longterm must have made a fortune out of Teesside.*

If DTVA only goes after the holidaymakers who only travel once or twice a year, that is hardly sustainable. Surely the core has to be business travellers. To be fair, they don't spend in the concessions so less income for DTVA. You have to think the long term business plan for Peel is to build something else....

For me Newcastle is dreadful to get to, there are always problems on the A1 and there are going to be long term roadworks on the Western Bypass this summer, making a bad situation much worse. If going to London, it is pointless driving to Newcastle, as I could drive direct quicker or get a train. If driving to Leeds, it's an hour and a half in the car and I'm well on the way, might as well just drive all the way.

*Brings to mind how to make a small fortune out of aviation - start with a large fortune...